1940s Frames For Sale

Please scroll down for more.



*** 1949 Flying Scot track/road. A very rare Scot as it has a twin plate fork crown. It's the only one I've ever seen with this feature - apart from the other one I have for sale! This isn't as odd as it sounds. Check out Bob Reid's Flying Scot website and I don't think you'll find another twin plate crown (least not the last time I looked) and there are a lot of bikes on that website! I counted myself very lucky to have two pre-1950 Scots like this.

I thought of using the pic I took after this one - when Hamish in the background is hunched over fertilising the grass - but then thought it might put you off your porridge.

The Scot has its original paint and transfers largely intact but the finish is quite dull and well worn. There are some collectors who would definitely rub an oily rag over the frame and preserve it just the way it is whilst others would immediately send it off for repainting. If you're the latter, transfers (decals) are available from H LLoyd.

It's kitted out with Airlite Continental hubs in good order mated via double-butted stainless spokes to nice Conloy Asp alloy rims - the classic British combination of the period. The GB brake/lever came out a couple of years after the frame so it's not quite period correct - but close! The lovely, fluted BSA track chainset is suitable for any bike from the 1930s to the 1950s. It hasn't been rechromed and is in very nice, useable condition.












The saddle is a period correct Swallow that looks just the job but I wouldn't want to sit on it too much. It will be fine for the occasional ride of a few miles but if you're planning on spending a lot of time on the Scot then it would be better to get a newer Brooks to swap with.

This is a spritely bike with a short wheelbase for the period of 39 inches. It was the first bike I bought when I went looking for a classic lightweight. It belonged to an old cyclist in Dundee who had sadly passed on. I bought the bike from his widow. It could do with a good clean to be honest as it's spent too much time getting dusty and grimey in the garage. I'll be sorry to see it go but I have to thin the herd and have decided to just go with a few favourite bikes that have special meaning for me. £500.  Bike now SOLD.

EMAIL

..........




*** 1948 Flying Scot. Seat tube 56cm (22") c-t, top tube 58cm (22.8") c-c, 103cm (40.6") wheelbase. This is the other frame with the twin plate fork crown. It's designed for a rear derailleur and is in good, sound condition although it will have to be refinished. It had been my intention before deciding to downsize to paint the track/road machine powder blue with cream panels and this Scot cream with powder blue panels. The Scot twins would have looked quite stunning. Maybe someone else can now accomplish this? £250. Frame now SOLD.
EMAIL





..........


*** 1948 Hobbs of Barbican. I think Hobbs were amongst the best at producing fillet brazed, welded or lugless frames and this one is a fine example. Still in its birthday suit, it's at the stage where the paintwork needs a bit of attention to preserve it into the future. Personally, I wouldn't repaint it as cleaned and polished, rubbed down with an oily rag and built up it will look lovely. However, should you decide to have it re-enamelled, then all the transfers/decals are available from the usual suspects such as H LLoyd.  £90.
EMAIL

..........


*** The Famous James. Don't know an awful lot about this frame. It has a slight "crimping" at the offside chain stay but I've never built it up so consequently don't know what effect this will have on the bike's handling, if any. It certainly seems solid enough. £50
EMAIL